Wednesday 27 May 2009

Reggie Calloway - Bring Back The Love - 2009 - Bungalo Records

Yes, yes, yes, I know 90% of this album was on "Walking Through Raindrops" via Expansion back in 2000 so you're probably as much disappointed that this is NOT a new album from this great man. However, do not skip this album as track 10 is new and is a real cracker!!!!! So, without further ado I shall talk about "You Are My Music", which is listed as an 'inspirational bonus'. Well, whatever that means I am not sure but I for one am very pleased to see it on here. To be fair, I was not too certain to start with, but I was very soon won over...the real instrumentation - horns etc and gentle melody is really soothing and the french horn really sounds lovely - something we really do not hear much of these days, much to my annoyance and general gnashing of teeth! This song builds up and turns into a really strong, strong and more-ish cut and if you love Callow slow jams such as "Set The Table" and "I Desire You" then this will definitely grow on you.

This album does, however, feature my two favourite songs from his original 2000 album, namely "It's You" and "Bring Back The Love". On both songs I feel that musically and vocally this guy sounds so much like the more soulful side of Lionel Richie. I mean that as no offence at all (unless I'm referring to the new Lionel Richie album, that is. Avoid!!!) as I am a huge fan of dear old Lionel, and these songs are so stylish and so typical of what we would expect from Mr. Calloway. The original album fared very well 9 years ago, and I hope that the man will still get some mileage from this collection. I, for one, would be more than happy to buy this CD for "You Are My Music" alone. NEW MUSIC, PLEASE!!!!!!! LOL.

Barry Towler
The Vibe Scribe

Buy from Amazon