Wednesday 6 May 2009

Lindsay R. Watson - Willing To Change - 2009 - 11Thirty Music

This fresh, new talent brings us a strong CD of modern soul with heavy beats, plenty of ballads and dancers and a vocal touch that reminds me of Joyce Sims in places. The title track really is a strong midtempo effort and the strength lies in both the vocals and the melody; "You Don't Belong To Me" also heralds a meaty bassline, but this duet with Di'Mon is more than sturdy enough to get the speakers rattling nicely and the chunkiness is enough to even attract a younger set of ears to boot. The real KILLER for me is the gorgeously 1980s sounding "Everyday (So In Love)" - the dreamy keyboards remind me so much of happier times and Dexter Wansel would smile at the use of this keyboard. Very tasty, summery and essential listening! The backing harmonies - supplied by Lindsay herself - are very delicious too! I have been spinning this tune so much at home and on the iPod in the car - a classy, classy tune and one that makes the purchase of the CD necessary alone.

A close second comes "I Still Need To Know", a sexy track with a great vocal performance and a catchy hook make this a desirable track. The superb stepping groove of "Gonna Make It" has a sexy vocal and another strong keyboard feature a la Mr Wansel! This kind of material really gets the old smile breaking out all over my grumpy, dour old features! Track 8, "Keep On Loving You" reminds me of something that Mary Davis would cook if she had she been recording recently! You will really appreciate this CD, and this song is wide enough in appeal to attract a number of disparate ears. My final choice is "Only You" - a gorgeous swayer with the strongest vocal yest, and summery vibe complete with loose beat and guitar. This inspirational song is very strong - not a theme I can attach to, but I definitely dig the style and the music. Superb. This CD comes highly recommended.

Barry Towler
The Vibe Scribe


Buy the CD